Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tristan da Cunha

I've been reading about Tristan da Cunha, a small island off the west coast of Africa and for some reason, I feel really connected to the place. The landscape looks familiar or like a place I would like to visit and see. It would also be really interesting to observe the people; the dynamic of the small community. It's somewhere I would like to visit, but would take a lot of planning to get permission and to actually get there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tristan_da_Cunha

3 comments:

Fabio said...

Hey Amanda. Just scored the very same 25 on the online Aspeger test. Curiously, I too have a BsC in Computer Technology.

I don't have any connection to Tristan da Cunha, but I am very strongly attracted to the Azores!

Oh, yeah... No blog for me for the time being :(

Cheers,
Fabio

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Indeed. I find the notion of isolation here with a small population also fascinating. Have you seen that film "The Village" by M. Night Shyamalan?
Of course the downside to the isolation and small population is that evil entities take advantage of them, such as this event: "In 1958, as part of Operation Argus, the United States Navy exploded an atomic bomb 200 kilometres high in the upper atmosphere, 115 kilometres southeast of the main island." (wikipedia) As for me, being from New Zealand and pinus radiata being so important here I was recently very attracted to Monterey and Guadalupe Island. Also Monterey is apparently the world leader in languages which is another reason for me to like it.
edit: spelling mistake. Why does it never occur to programmers to allow people to edit their posts? I had to delete my post and post again with new version.